This blog is closed. For more recent content, visit Chris Clarke's new site Coyote Crossing.
Creek Running North
February 18, 2005
This fledgling meme is stolen from Paul.
Ten things I've done that I bet you haven't:
1) Hitchhiked around the Appalachians at age 17 with no destination in mind and less than forty bucks, with a missing persons' report filed on me.
2) Met Wendie Malick at the Oakland Airport and drove her to the Mendocino Brewing Company brewpub in Hopland, where she bought me a couple of beers.
3) Burned a letter from a serial killer on death row in which he claimed he thought of me as the closest thing to a brother he'd ever had.
4) Spraypainted a lavender anarchy sign on the hood of a cop car parked in front of the precinct. (I didn't say they were all smart things.)
5) Held a piece of paper in my hand which bore the home phone number of Defense Secretary Caspar Weinberger.
6) Dropped acid with a dwarf.
7) Cooked and served a dozen friends a four course meal at which everyone present understood beforehand that all the food had been salvaged from supermarket dumpsters.
8) Made tempeh at home from dry soybeans and starter culture.
9) Flipped off Reagan and had him see it and react.
10) Eaten mealworms (not in relation to item #7)
Posted by Chris Clarke at February 18, 2005 01:17 PM
TrackBack URL for this entry:
0 blog(s) linking to this post:
...evidently fear is not a factor for you!!!Posted by: Anne at February 18, 2005 04:00 PM
Well now that is some impressive list! I've thought about mine, and so far, it was easy to come up with, oh, one: At age 22, I stood beside his desk in his Montgomery office and scolded governor George Wallace on his poor job of protecting Alabama's natural resources. Cheeky!Posted by: fred1st at February 18, 2005 04:58 PM
Re. no. 9: You are like a god to me now.Posted by: the_bone at February 18, 2005 06:00 PM
You damn well right ought to turn yourself in! (I now know I'm right in my undying affection: it's #7 that put me over the top.)Posted by: beth at February 19, 2005 08:01 AM
I've never served anyone a four course meal, but I have shared dumpster food with close friends. One summer in college I didn't eat anything but trash, it was a failed experiment in a zero impact lifestyle. I could give up groceries, but I couldn't give up the computer. My list, as of yet, is somewhat pathetic, I should probably start being a bit more brave/stupid.Posted by: Hank at February 19, 2005 01:46 PM
Real anarchists don't have a "sign."Posted by: Philboid Studge at February 22, 2005 07:42 AM
No, real anarchists debate endlessly about who's a real anarchist and play purist one-upmanship games to take up time and exhaust potential political partners so that the right can go on about its business unopposed.
Which is why I don't consider myself a real anarchist anymore: I'm more interested in getting things accomplished, and less interested in issues of fashion.Posted by: Chris Clarke at February 22, 2005 08:47 AM